Tuesday, March 9, 2010

Where did 29 years go?





I am finally blogging about my birthday 2 weeks ago, because Jed's birthday is coming in just a couple of days, and I know I will have more to blog about...so in an effort not to get behind, I will begrudgingly blog about myself. Not because it wasn't a good day. Actually, I was overwhelmed with how much attention I got this year. I have such a wonderful family to celebrate with, both my husband and kids, and extended family as well. I just don't like blogging about myself, but I will do it just this once! Oliver put so much thought and effort into making me presents this year. I got 8 hand-drawn pictures, that really almost brought me to tears., they were so sweet. A couple of them had Olympic themes, and one in particular showed him doing the long jump - priceless! My talented sister Amy, who is in hair school right now, gave me highlights for my birthday as well as a great haircut. I am in awe of her when I watch her cut hair because she does it so naturally, and I can tell you I DON'T look natural when attempting a haircut. She looks like an artist when she is working with someone's hair - it's very cool. On the night of my b-day, Jed, Ollie, Ave, and I all went to Spaghetti Factory for dinner - it was so yummy! It has been a long time since we have eaten there, but the mizithra cheese, creamy pesto salad dressing, and spumoni ice cream were just as I remember them. The kids got a kick out of the train car in the middle of the restaurant. Pay special attention to the picture of Jed and I to the side - Oliver was our wonderful photographer for the pic, and I am so glad he captured Avery in the far left corner of the picture (she is throwing quite the fit). I was surprised with a very unexpected birthday present right before we left for dinner. My brother-in-law Ryan, or master woodworker extraordinaire as I now call him, brought over a console table that he had made himself for me. It is alder to match the fireplace mantel and other woodworking in the house. He even stained it the same color! It has some amazing detail to it, and is built with the highest craftsmenship there is. He captured the knots of the tree on a couple of the top pieces - just beautiful. It is the exact height of the sofa, which it goes directly behind. I could go on and on. It is just perfect! He also made the coolest cutting board out of purple heart and hard maple. The color combination is so cool, I've never seen anything like it. Even before this incredibly thoughtful and time-consuming gift, I was forever indebted to Ry for so many other times he has been there for our family. When I married into the VanDyke family I knew I had found an amazing husband, but I was unaware of the bond that I would soon share with the rest of my husband's family. I feel pretty lucky! Ryan's woodworking company is Bespoke Wood, and Ladies, he is not bespoken for yet!!

4 comments:

The Flint's said...

Hey Happy Belated Birthday Girl!!!! We need to go out for a GNO!! Hope you guys are doing well. the alder table ryan made you is gorgeous!!

Rob, Adrienne, Sam, Ada and Tony said...

Hapy belated birthday. You're right the VanDykes are awesome and I'm happy to call them cousins.

Carrera said...

AWESOME play on words with the Ryan thing. haha.
You and Jed look so cute in that picture! I did notice Avery right away though, that is so candid and perfect!!
Okay I know I said I would plan GNO and I didn't, but we will have to plan one when we get back from Cali... love you!

loveourboys said...

Hey girl, HAPPY B-day!!! I feel we need a GNO too, to celebrate your b-day!!!!!!